Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        markus.r.bertel@lmco.com (Bertel, Markus R)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG ('freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG')
Subject:   Re: Cloning FreeBSD

Hi,

> Dear Sir/Ma'am
>
>      We have been using FreeBSD for a few years and have been so far very
> satisfied in its performance.  We would like to make a back up of the hard
> drive that has FreeBSD and its configuration.  Is there a disk cloning
> software that would work and be compatable with FreeBSD where we could copy
> from one disk to another disk?  Thank you for your input.

If you just want to have a backup kept on disk, use dump(8)
(and restore(8) if needed).
Just dump to a file on to the other disk using dump with the -f flag.
Such as     dump 0af /bakdisk/dump_of_root /
    and     dump 0af /bakdisk/dump_of_home /home
or whatever file systems you have and want to back up.

The dump and restore utillities know how to keep file info like owners
and links, etc properly and are easy to use and reliable.

If what you are asking about is keeping an ongoing mirror of the disk
then you need to check out either hardware or software raid support.

////jerry