Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:09:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

On Jan 17, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Jos Backus wrote:
> Let's not dismiss this out of hand.
>=20
> Thanks, Warner.
>=20
> I'm perfectly willing  to make an effort moving FreeBSD forward in =
this area once we can achieve consensus on what moving forward means. I =
don't care about the implementation so much as having the functionality =
available out of the box. Porting launchd sounds like a good plan.

Sounds like a good idea.  I know the current init stuff is weak and has =
to be worked around. /etc/rc.d has no interaction with init at this =
level, which is what the problem is.  init has the ability to keep =
things alive, but little flexibility.  /etc/rc.d has the ability to =
launch a bunch of stuff, but little ability to keep things alive.  Any =
improvement in this area is needed.  launchd is a better solution still, =
and I look forward to seeing it in the tree if you get it working.

But to reiterate my point: the judgement will be on the result of the =
work.  If it is done poorly, it may not make it into the tree.  If it =
turns out that launchd has some fundamental incompatibility with =
FreeBSD, you may have to do a lot of work for no gain in the tree.  On =
the other hand, it should work well and likely is less work than =
integrating daemontools completely into the system (key point here is =
completely).

Warner