Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:25:14 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org, des@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More general problem regarding linux_getdents() on synthetic file systems

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:41:24PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:

> A bit more exploration with the linprocfs issue has lead me to wonder if
> we have a more general problem with the reading of synthetic file systems
> by Linux-emulated processes.  I mounted a devfs as /dev of my jail'd Linux
> installation, and found that, as with linprocfs, entries are missing.
> However, unlike linprocfs, *all* entries are missing, including "." and
> "..":

Robert:

I have to dig into it before I can give a meaningful answer. I know
there is a conversion layer in glibc to handle old kernels (ie
different layout of struct dirent), but I don't know if that's the
problem here. We also have a mapping problem between our dev_t and
Linux' dev_t. This probably isn't the problem either...

A thought struck me: Linux will seek(), due to the conversion layer.
I doubt FreeBSD will seek(). That sounds like a plausible cause...

Anyway: I'll have to get back up to speed,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org