Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:41:29 -0300
From:      Marcio Augusto Stocco <stocco@unesp.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems rebuilding the kernel

I've tried to rebuild the kernel after editing the GENERIC config file,
without success. Then, I repeated the procedure without changing this file,
and got the same error.
Even after reading all the docs I put my hands on, I couldn't realize what's
wrong. So, I would appreciate your help very much.

Thanks in advance,
Marcio Augusto Stocco.

------------ my procedure ------------

root@pippin[101] cd /sys/i386/conf/
/sys/i386/conf
root@pippin[102] cp GENERIC KRNTEST
root@pippin[103] /usr/sbin/config KRNTEST
Kernel build directory is ../../compile/KRNTEST
root@pippin[104] cd ../../compile/KRNTEST
/sys/compile/KRNTEST
root@pippin[105] make depend
Makefile:25: *** missing separator.  Stop.

IBM PC 350 - P166
CPU: Pentium (166.19-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>

FreeBSD pippin.ai.unesp.br 2.2.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #0:
Wed Mar 25 02:28:49 GMT 1998
jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

gcc version 2.7.2.1
GNU Make version 3.76.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.