Date:      Tue, 27 May 1997 14:25:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>
To:        Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>
Cc:        Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: async socket stuff

> It sure could, but you end up with many more system calls, and it is not
> async.  The real advantage to a call like TransmitFile() is that you can
> send an entire file (or a range of a file) with a single system call, and
> you can do it async.  This means that you can more efficiently implement
> things like FTP servers, Web servers, pop servers, etc.

i think we have a terminology problem here.  i would honestly be amazed
if NT implemented TransmitFile() in the kernel (making it a syscall).  i
think it more likely that it is a library routine that is built on top of
async IO.

btw, NT is probably the WORST place to look for inspiration.  just look
at their TCP sequence generation algorithm.

b3n