Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:59:02 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hostid equals Ethernet address or IP address ?

Norman C Rice wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 12:41:12AM -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
   [snip]

> While I am not sure about supporting documents, I am pretty sure that
> sethostid(3) is referring to the IP address, not the MAC address. My
> reasoning is that IP addresses are 32-bits while MAC address are
> 64-bits (the first 32-bits comprises the OUI which uniquely identifies
> the vendor). My other thought is that if sethostid() actually rewrote
> the MAC address (assuming it was implemented in FLASH, EEPROM, or some
> other reprogrammable device) is that there would be no guarantee of
> uniqueness. Reprogramming the MAC address would ``break'' many vendors
> cards due to the steps they take to prevent this, e.g., embedded
> CRC-32s, checksums, inverted MAC addresses, etc..

As stated in the man page, the function is deprecated anyhow, but just
to comment on Norman Rice's answer: MAC addresses are 48 bit long, not
64 bit long, and there are indeed cases where they are reprogrammed. The
most notable of these is DECnet Phase IV where the MAC address is
reprogrammed to be the DECnet address (with some additions) as soon as
DECnet is up and running. Most NICs will let you reprogram their MAC
address temporarily, if you so wish.

> > Josef
> >
> > --
> > Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
> > jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses
> --
> Regards,
> Norman C. Rice, Jr.