Date:      Sat, 31 May 2014 16:18:47 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: databases/mariadb55-server fails to package with oqgraph option

On Sat, 31 May 2014 01:44:39 -0700 (PDT)
Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com> wrote:

> >After doing all of this your my.cnf id empty (unless you tune more,
> >which usually makes sense on a production system) and
> >your /etc/rc.conf contains: mysql_enable="YES"
> >mysql_limits="YES"
> >mysql_pidfile="/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid"
> >mysql_args="--skip-innodb --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> --log-error=/var/log/mysql.log"
>
> That's beautiful man, thanks!
>
> * What does "mysql_limits=YES" do?
less /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server

# mysql_limits (bool):  Set to "NO" by default.
#                       Set it to yes to run `limits -e -U mysql`
#                       just before mysql starts.

> * What is Mutex vs Spinlock? As I understand, one is older (thus
> slower) than the other? Is the question pointless if not using InnoDB?

Spinlocks should be faster on multiprocessor machines (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinlock for details), but if it is
actually beneficial might depend on your specific workload.

> * Disabling InooDB did not work as planned (failed to start, log
> below). It also re-created <aria_log.00000001 \ aria_log_control>
> despite having deleted those files. Should I just leave InnoDB alone?
> If so, does it make any sense to redirect the InnoDB-related files to
> a restricted / more protected folder?
> mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
> [Note] Plugin 'InnoDB' is disabled.
> [ERROR] Unknown/unsupported storage engine: InnoDB
> [ERROR] Aborting
> [Note] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete
> mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid ended

Seems like you have to configure a different default storage engine,
adding "--default-storage-engine=myisam" to mysql_args should do the
trick.

> Thanks again & Regards.

You're welcome.

- Michael