Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:00:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I install 4.4R?

Jim Freeze wrote:

> Hi
>
> I installed 4.3R yesterday and saw that
> 4.4 was out. So I tried to install 4.4.
> I did this by booting from the 4.3R cd
> and installing from ftp. I thought that would
> get me the latest, but I got 4.3. So, I
> did the upgrade in /stand/sysinstall--also
> from ftp. It did not give me an option of
> what to upgrade to, and when it was done,
> I had 4.3.
>
> So, my question is, how do I get 4.4 installed
> without making a 4.4 CD and, is it worth it?

There were a lot of fixes between 4.3-r and 4.4-r. There were several
large security holes that you are now running.

It all depends on what you are using. I have dual 866 coppermines and a
DSL line. The cvsup upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4-stable required about an
hour from cvsup to reboot to new version.

Kent

> Thanks

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com