Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:19:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building XF86Setup (Was Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELE

On 14-Mar-98 David Dawes wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 09:49:47PM -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:

>>> The "ports" Tk and/or Tcl static libraries are broken again.  I always
>>> end up needing to build my own static libs when building the XFree86
>>> binary dists.
>>
>>That's good to know.  How do I do that? Pick up the distfiles from ucb,
>>and
>>build in a private area?
>
> That's more or less what I do.  I usually use tcl 7.6 and tk 4.2, and do
> a "standard" build (no shared libs).  An alternative is to edit
> your xc/config/cf/host.def file to say you're using shared tcl/tk libs
> instead of static (see the xf86site.def file in the same directory for
> an example of what to do).
>
> BTW, are you seeing some different undefined symbols, or just one (panic)
> like someone else reported?
>
> David

Many references to panic, but others too.  i just had ``make buildworld''
fail on a number of tcl/tk symbols too.  If you try to build tk tools, they
make you remove all traces of all versions of these.  Then other things
break.

I never understood any of this.  Seems like there is no cross version
compatability, like tkman will run with wish 8.0, but not wish 8.1,  I do
not know what build wish 8.0 (with some custom features, of course).  I
tried to build/install tcl80 and tk80 but that does not impress anyone.