Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:44:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Audio sampling from bt848-based cards

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Anish Mistry wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 April 2003 11:59 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > with trying to understand the pcm framework at the same time as trying to
> > separate the linux bits from the btaudio bits - three unkowns were
> > getting too much - then I got too busy with other things. I get the
> > distinct impression it should be quite straightforward for someone
> > practiced at porting linux audio drivers to BSD pcm.
> >
> Wouldn't there be an issue of GPL code vs. BSD license in porting the code?  I
> ask since my sound card only has linux GPL drivers and the chipset
> manufactuer doesn't want to release the spec, but I'm hesitant to look at the
> GPL code since then whatever I get from it wouldn't that have to be GPL'd and
> then now be able to be included in the kernel?

There's no great need to look at Linux drivers to implement a BT878 audio
driver: the BT878/879 datasheet is on the web and describes the audio side
reasonably well.  In particular, the audio DMA engine is the same as the
video DMA engine, so you'd be better off stealing from the FreeBSD bktr
driver than the Linux driver for 90% of the code.

http://www.conexant.com/products/prodparts.jsp?id=707
(you want the datasheet, errata and application note linked from that
page)