Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:18:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Gillis <zefram@zefram.net>
To:        Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling 4-RELEASE on 5-STABLE

> If everything is not working right, then 5.3 wouldnever be tagged
> STABLE. This is not Windows.

	Granted, however I need to make sure that everything works fine in
my environment on my hardware with my software. The reason I use FreeBSD
is that I trust your release engineering moreso than any other vender (as
it were)*, however.. there are still things that could go wrong and I
prefer not to find out when a production server heads south or doesn't
have the right firmware on the RAID card.. so that's why I lag.

	Also, at least one piece of hardware is near impossible to
upgrade. An old 486/25 that's running Snort, without a cd-rom and a 200M
hard drive.

> 4.10-R uses gcc 2.95 and 5.3 uses gcc 3.4. The binaries compiled with
> the later are not backward compatble.

	What about my question about boot strapping? Does that ensure that
I could compile the world/kernel of 4.x on 5.3?
		John

* Are you a vendor? You don't vend... I should say that I trust you more
than any other operating system.. but that's too wordy.