Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:50:09 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Zachary Maas" <zac@dodgecity.hpi.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: frontpage encrypting password problem?

-----Original Message-----
From: Zachary Maas <zac@dodgecity.hpi.net>
>It seems the extensions are not encrypting the password to the way FreeBSD
>would like it to.  I previously had this problem before i installed
>the apache-fp port and i had hoped the apache-fp would have fixed this
>problem in some way.  I am not sure if other people have had this problem
>but i hope thay have and if _anyone_ has a work around then please let me
>know ASAP! :)))  Any help is appreciated.

The apache-fp port can't fix MS mistakes, as most of it is pre-compiled.
The only thing the port does is add the mod_frontpage.c source code into the
apache server and install the extensions.

Is DES encryption installed on your server? I'm not sure if this could be
the cause of the problem, but I think I read some where that MS is using DES
for the decrypting of passwords.  If DES is not installed, fpsrvadm.exe uses
the crypt library, which only has MD5, to encrypt the password.  But the
other programs (don't use the crypt library)use DES to decrypt the
passwords, which gives your error.

Hmmm, how should the port fix this, make a check to see if the des library
is installed?

Q.  After the apache-fp port finishes it's install, are you able to
administer the root web, or do you get the same error?  As, the apache-fp
port runs the fp-install.sh, which uses fpsrvadm.exe to create the root web.

Scot