Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:31:14 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum stability (was: RAID alternatives)

On Tuesday, 21 January 2003 at 16:15:06 +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> I'm planning a new system to replace my aging 350 MHz K6-2, and am
> considering various options for increasing disk performance and
> reliability.  I'm thinking of running RAID level 5 across three or
> four identical IDE disks.  The question is what RAID solution to pick:

>    - Vinum: I've had mixed experiences with this.  There have been
>      some embarassing bugs, particularly in the recovery code, and it
>      has had a tendency to crash the system.  Has it improved with
>      age?

I suppose that depends on the bugs you've seen.  I don't know of
anything serious still left in there.  There are some issues where
incorrect configuration requests are not adequately parsed, and can
lead to things like incorrect counts of objects or free space.  Under
certain circumstances multiple starts can also cause problems.  I'm
planning to look at least at the second issue Real Soon Now.

Greg