Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 02:32:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "rick - SomersNet, Inc." <rick@123hostit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5-10,000 connected HTTP users???

>Can someone tell me if it is possible to have 10,000 connected http
>users if your hardware will support it and running FreeBSD and Apache.
>
>I am looking into buying a monster server from DELL with 4 p-3 550
>processors, 2 gigs of ram, and a terabyte of drive space. However before
>I do I want to make sure there is an OS that can handle what I want to
>get out of it.
>
>anyone have an opinion on this? I know it's a bit out of the ordinary..

   Probably not, unless the http server you're using is extremely lean on
memory usage (which Apache is most definately NOT). Wcarchive can handle
10,000 FTP users, but only because it is running a special ftp daemon that
I wrote which has a very small memory requirement (and even with that, the
machine still needs 4GB of RAM to get there). With 2GB of RAM you could
probably handle around 1500-2000 simultaneous http users. If you double
the RAM to 4GB you might be able to get close to your low end 5K users
number.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.