Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:27:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Jake Ott <jott@frii.com>
To:        Damon Hammis <dhammis@verio.net>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet Alias limits?

I couldn't find a response to this on the list, so here goes.  They way I
learned how to add aliases was a totall seperate file that seems to work
much easier for large numbers of aliases.  In /etc/rc.conf, just setup the
first interface, no aliases.  Then, create a file /etc/aliases (or
whatever).  It should be chmod'ed 700 and chowned to root.  The file looks
something like this:

ifconfig de0 inet aliases.ip physical.ip alias netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig de0 inet aliases.ip physical.ip alias netmask 0xffffffff
ifconfig de0 inet aliases.ip physical.ip alias netmask 0xffffffff

The aliases.ip is just the new ip, and the physical ip is the ip of the
box.  Notice the netmask, 255.255.255.255 (0xffffffff).  This is because
you are creating a little 1 host network that the computer thinks is also
your real ip.  The de0 is just your network card's device.

After creating the file with all the ips you need, place a line in
/etc/rc.local running this file at startup.  I.E.:

echo -n ` aliases`
/etc/aliases

That should work for an unlimited number of ips (theres probably some
huge limit, but oh well). I've seen over 3 C classes running off 1 box
without a problem.

-Jake
Sally sells C Shells by the seashore.