Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:59:14 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Clemens Hermann" <haribeau@gmx.de>
Cc:        "BSD NET-List" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd restart

> Am 27.01.2002 um 00:41:23 schrieb Rogier R. Mulhuijzen:
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> > What sort of changes are you talking about here? Maybe there's a
different
> > way of going about it.
>
> I want to move an existing network from 91.0.0.0/8 to 172.16.0.0/16.
> Furthermore name resolution changes from wins to dns and dhcp is no longer
> used.
> The whole story has to take place during normal operation and I can not
> enter a gateway on any machine.
> It will take ~2 weeks and there are ~100 computers.

Why not just add an IP alias for the "new" network on each machine?  Each
system will respond to packets directed to either network, but without the
complexity of a NAT box in the middle.  Once you've got everything switched,
then you can remove the original IP addresses.  I've used this method in the
past to transition LANs between IP ranges and it works absolutely fine.

--
Matt Emmerton