Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:30:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vladimir Dergachev <volodya@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>, XFree86 Newbies List <Newbie@XFree86.Org>, XFree86 General Discussion List <XPert@XFree86.Org>
Subject:   Re: [Xpert]!! WILL $PayPal$ FOR XF 4.2.0 HELP !!

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> {To whomever helps me first/best, I decree "name your PayPal $$FEE$$ !!"}
>

> I've attached two files, one is relevant dmesg output (sorted in order of
> video then keyboard then mouse stuff) and the other is the default output
> file "XF86Config.new" which was created by the "XFree86 -configure" command.
>
> All I wish for are these three (3) things, from least to highest priority:
>
> (1) Is it possible to use SVGA (blanktime, screen_saver.ko modules) in
> syscons/console?

Have no idea what you are talking about.. What is syscons ?

> (2) What changes must I make to the default XF86Config.new file to use
> atkbd and /dev/sysmouse (ums0) instead of "keyboard" and "/dev/mouse?"

Ahh.. it looks like you are running BSD, right ?

Try:

       Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier "mouse0"
         Driver "mouse"
         Option "Protocol" "sysmouse"
         Option "Device"   "/dev/sysmouse"
       EndSection

> (3) What lines must be *added* to the default XF86Config.new file to use a
> DefaultDepth of 16 (or 24) and a DefaultResolution of 800x600, so that
> XFree86 will work with my ATI All-in-Wonder 128 16mb AGP video card and
> Dell M781p monitor (supposed ranges are hscan 30-85kHz, vscan 50-160kHz,
> and optimal preset is apparently "1024x768 @ 85Hz")??

In the screen section add

       DefaultDepth 16

just before first 'SubSection "Display"'

Change 16 bit subsection so it looks like:
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600"
        EndSubSection

If you see monitor not syncing to the signal (though
/var/log/XFree86.0.log shows everything is fine) add

     Option "composite_sync" "off"

to the end of 'Section "Device"'. If this does not help change "off" to
"on".

Also, take a look at http://gatos.sf.net/ Note: binary drivers might not
(will likely not) work for BSD, you will need to compile from source.

> I really require X.  I am exasperated.  Someone.  Please-- Help me and
> take my $loot$ ??

If this helps please consider contributing to EFF.

                           best

                               Vladimir Dergachev