Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:00:09 -0600
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tester ditty (fwd)

On Friday September 19, 1997, Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
 had this to say about "Re: tester ditty (fwd)":

> On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Steve Hovey wrote:
>

> > Im trying to set up a system of checks that will beep me of something isnt
> > working - I use ping to see if machines are up or not, but could use
> > something that will check that a port is being answered - for instance,
> > something that would connect to a mail or web port and return an
> > errorlevel if nothing is answering that port - does anyone know of
> > anything like that available anywhere?
>
> Big brother was mentioned.  our network services dept. has something which

Two others I've used:

	nocol-4.01 (character-based)
	scotty/tkined (character or X-Windows)

Scotty/Tkined takes a little more work imho, but may be more "satisfying"
for the graphically dependent.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net