Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:34:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 a severe disappointment

Based on comments I'd seen here, I upgraded my laptop to 4.0-RELEASE today.

This was a huge mistake.  After having wiped out my 2.2.8 configuration, I am
now left with something that cannot do networking I/O reliably.  I have had an
"scp -r" stuck in "- stalled -" for about five minutes now -- when it is about
three feet away from the system in question.

I downgraded from 2.2.8.

The ethernet card is a 3Com EtherLink III; it identifies itself as a stock
3c589, and is recognized for "ep0".

I have tried letting pccardd pick the IRQ, and I have set it manually.  In no
case has any IRQ worked properly.  Based on the behaviour, however, it is
pretty certain to be an IRQ issue.

The part from "pccardc dumpcis" that appears relevent is:

	Card decodes 18 address lines, full 8/16 Bit I/O
		IRQ modes: Level, Pulse
		IRQs:  IOCK 1 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 14

I am, once again, trying irq 11, and "-i 11" for pccardd. (I've now rebooted,
because, unlike 2.2.8, pccardd won't recognize my removing the card from the
machine.)  No go;it's now stalled in exactly the same place on an 'scp -r'.
(That, incidently, makes me wonder if it's an IRQ problem, or something else.
I can log into it over the net, ping it, ping _out_ from it, and it still
lives.  But for getting my data back over, the machine is dead.  No, actually,
if I kill it and start it again, it goes further.  But then still dies.)