Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 01:31:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH Must Die

Mike Silbersack wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > > 1.  Is ssh working yet?
> >
> > Yes, it is working perfectly.  The only problem is that it now works
> > slightly differently to what people have expected.  ie: it treats
> > sshv1 rsa keys as totally seperate to sshv2 rsa keys.
>
> Let me rephrase:
>
> 1.  Terry, is ssh working for you yet?

The /etc/pam.conf additions have fixed some of the systems,
but not all of them.

The difference between the systems that work with the
changes, and the onces which do not, is the precise
upgrade process.

The systems that work were booted from the CDROM, and
upgraded via the sysinstall upgrade process.

The systems which do not work were booted from the
hard disk, and upgraded via the sysinstall upgrade
process, using a copy of the sysinstall from one of
the successfully upgraded systems (i.e. they were
_not_ booted from CDROM, since the machines in
question are rack-mounts without CDROMs in them).

On the failing systems, I get:

----------
root% sshd
error: ConnectionsPerPeriod has been deprecated!
no RSA support in libssl and libcrypto.  See ssl(8)
Disabling protocol version 1
error: Could not load DSA host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 2
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.
----------

Ignore the lack of host keys: the key generation
program has the same complaint about libssl and
libcrypto.

Running "nm" on the libraries in question shows RSA
code is present.

It would be nice if it would tell me how it is going
about arriving at its erroneous conclusion.

I have verified that all libraries in question on
the working and non-working systems are, in fact,
identical to each other.  So are the ssh, sshd, and
key generation tool.

The earlier suggestion that I delete libcrypto.so.1
did not bear any fruit, either.  Neither does replacing
everything sshd and ssh is linked shared against, as
well as the binaries themselves.

There is just something strange about how SSH works,
in combination with a boot vs. local run of the upgrade
process.  8-(.

-- Terry