Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 23:09:22 +0800 (WST)
From:      David Adam <zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Turning on smartquotes for HTML output

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Murray Stokely wrote:
> I would like to use proper entities to generate smart quotes rather
> than relying on double ``ticks''.  The following patch produces much
> nicer looking quotes in FireFox and Opera on FreeBSD.  We didn't have
> this option many years ago when the quote element was first added to
> our stylesheets, but the smartquote entities are now well supported so
> we should use them.  If there are no objections I'll commit the
> following patch.

I tested with a few text-based browsers (as I used to read the handbook a
-lot- this way, particularly when I broke something).

This works fine under links and lynx, but not under w3m. This suggests to
me that w3m needs to be More Clever, so another vote for the change from
this quarter.

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au