Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:15:17 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disaster strikes...

walt wrote:

> After cvsup'ing just now I cannot reboot -CURRENT either with the new
> kernel or the old kernel.
>
> The new kernel panics instantly on boot, and the old kernel halts
> with multiple messages about ACPI, so I'm stuck with an unbootable
> machine.
>
> What is the command to disable acpi at the boot prompt?  I tried
> 'toggle-module acpi' with no luck.

Let me take this opportunity to mention that I think the whole way the=20
acpi thing was done is wrong.

ACPI module is not loaded by loader.4th, in the frame of=20
/boot/loader.conf, /boot/defaults/loader.conf. It's special cased inside =

the kernel and/or loader (I'm not sure which), and it _happens_ to use=20
acpi_load as a name for it's environment variable.

Now, the problem is that, presently, none of the module stuff is kept on =

environment variables. At the time I wrote it, Forth stuff just didn't=20
have any access to environment variables, so I had to create my own=20
namespace. The acpi_load variable, though, _is_ kept in the environment=20
variable namespace, and should be unset _there_. Thus, toggle-module,=20
disable-module and enable-module none have the desired effect. For acpi, =

and acpi only, unset acpi_load is the correct way of doing. For all the=20
other modules, the ones in set in /boot/loader.conf, disable-module=20
would be correct, and "unset" _won't_ work.

Alas, I am rewrite this, and the new version will keep all data in=20
environment variables, so both unset and toggle/disable-module will work =

for all of them. Good thing I'm seeing so many messages on this=20
particular subject today, as it's renewing my motivation for this project=
=2E

--=20
Daniel C. Sobral
Ger=EAncia de Opera=E7=F5es
Divis=E3o de Comunica=E7=E3o de Dados
Coordena=E7=E3o de Seguran=E7a
TCO
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail:	Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br
	Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br
	dcs@tcoip.com.br