Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:57:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        proot@iaces.com (Paul T. Root), questions@FreeBSD.ORG (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: Elm and DES password problems

> > > Is your mailbox big? I've had problems when elm runs out of scratch
> > > space in /tmp. Are any error messages reported by elm? What is its
> > > exit value? Perms on your mailspool?
> >
> > Nope, the mailbox is empty.
> > /tmp has plenty of space:
> > mfs:37            87199       36    80188     0%    /tmp
> >
> > And /var/mail is:
> > drwxrwxr-x   2 bin      mail    512 Jun 21 14:47 .
> >
> > And it's not just my main mailbox, it's also $HOME/Mail/*
> >
> > I just recompiled 2.5p2 from scratch. No joy. I'm using flock locking
> > not dot or fcntl.
>
> elm also can be fooled by NFS mounts, but that does not look like it
> is the problem. You got me here.

It's very strange. No, no nfs.

> > > But you can log in and stuff? Let's just see,
> > >
> > >   $ ls -l /usr/lib/libcrypt.*
>
> [snip correct links to use DES]
>
> Are you sure it is a passwd issue? What happens when you log into the
> POP3 server manually,
>
>   $ telnet popserver 110
>   <Server greeting>
>   USER someuser
>   <Server response>
>   PASS somepasswd
>
> What exactly do you see?

Yeah, I already did this. And yes, it is the right password.

37# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.iaces.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK horton.iaces.com POP3 3.3(18) w/IMAP2 client (Comments to MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU) at Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:52:05 -0500 (CDT)
user proot
+OK User name accepted, password please
pass XxXXXXX
-ERR Bad login

Oh, I found something else out. I deleted my passwd in /etc/master.passwd and recreated
it. It makes a DES hash. And things don't work. BUT, I use htpasswd from apache to create
a password and it creates an MD5 hash. I put that in /etc/passwd and everything works!

This has just got to be a confused library thing.

> > > Some error messages?
> >
> > I got this one going. I just hadn't had time to look at it. I'm in the
> > process of figuring out chg-chio.
>
> Oh, man. I had some fun with that. I changed jobs before I got around
> to getting that all to work.

I'm getting to be that way too. I'm reading thru the glue script (perl) but
I don't know where it gets called from or what it gets called with.

--
An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.