Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:25:49 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /home on a separate slice on cloned system

> Oh, that's simple then. Just run mkfs_ufs (or something like that)
> /dev/hda2d (that is if the slice exists... run sysinstall and modify
> where necessary to add the slice). Then on your next reboot everything
> should work just fine if you formatted the slice. Otherwise if you
> already have a slice formatted and ready to go, just use that slice in
> fstab.

Hi,

Thanks for this very helpful hint! In fact it was "newfs".

BTW I found an even more simple solution: Before booting the
slave-system for the first time from harddisk I boot the box using the
FreeBSD install-CD: Go through fdisk and label assign all your
partitions a mount point and you're done - the box boots without any
problems whatsoever.

Regards,
-ewald