Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:59:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        davids@webmaster.com (David Schwartz)
Cc:        davids@webmaster.com, Doug@gorean.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

> > threads. Log-based system. There's nothing I know of in any UNIX
>
> 	That should read "log-based file system". I'm talking about NTFS. And it
> beats an fsck any day.

NTFS is significantly slower that even an unmodified FFS in sync mode.

A modified FFS (i.e. with soft updates) does not require a fsck, but
no one has bothered to write a cylinder group bitmap cleaner for it,
which could easily run in the background. That, and disable the
"clean bit" code, and distinguish "disk related OS failure" from
"non-disk related OS failure" for the purposes of doing a full fsck
on disk related OS failures.

Note also that SGI is supposed to be releasing XFS sources some
time soon; IMO, it would be trivial to port it; I don't know if
I would bother with the plex manager (I like Simon's code for that),
given that their non-unified VM and buffer cache have the buffer
cache sandwiched between XFS and the manager.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.