Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 11:48:28 -0700
From:      Wayne Scott <wscott@ichips.intel.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org, nisha@cs.berkeley.edu, marc@bowtie.nl, ken@area238.residence.gatech.edu, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, pattrsn@cs.berkeley.edu, culler@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: more on fast bcopy

> Yes, indeed, this is very interesting.  I guess whatever I'm doing
> with all this is going to be moot once we all move to P6's. ;)
>
> By the way, I assume the external clock of the 200MHz P6 is 66MHz, is
> this correct?  The memory copy speed of this machine seems to be
> slower than the Triton-based P5-133 that we have (see below).  Do you
> know where the "B-step" Orion stands on the maturity curve, in terms
> of memory access speed?

The problem is that I gave you numbers on a lower performance desktop
machine.

On a high performance box with 4-way interleaved memory I get the
following:

    size    bandwidth
      32  46.376812 MB/s
      64  43.243243 MB/s	yes this dip is expected
     128  46.376812 MB/s
     256  57.142857 MB/s
     512  64.000000 MB/s
    1024  66.666667 MB/s
    2048  69.565217 MB/s
    4096  69.565217 MB/s
    8192  71.111111 MB/s

When I first ran then benchmark the results were toggling between
66 MB/s and 80 MB/s.  The problem was that the benchmark is too fast for
gettimeofday to return accurate numbers.  Increasing the size of the
buffer to be copied from 4 MBs to 32 MBs helpped alot.  (For those
short on memory just put a loop around the calls to bcopy to make the
time longer.)  I suspect this problem was occuring with luke's Pentium
number.

-Wayne

Wayne Scott		        MD6 Architecture
wscott@ichips.intel.com		Work #: (503) 264-4165
Disclaimer:  All views expressed are my own opinions, and not necessarily
             those of Intel Corporation.