Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:53:46 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Yevmenkin Maksim N CSCIO <myevmenkin@att.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NETGRAPH patches (proposal)

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> > > intercept row Ethernet
> > > something and

> > > name is not good,

> > > drops it anyway, i
> > > intercept ``orphan''
> > >
> > > The "divertin" hook is a useful idea.. after 4.0-REL we can check
> > > something in based on your patches...
> > >

> > ok. i just have a dumb question. what is the big deal with updating
> > ether_shost
> > in ethernet header in ngether_rcvdata. since we are passing raw ethernet
> > frame,
> > why should we update ether_shost?  wouldn't it be nice to make it optional?
> > just another control message?
>
> I agree.. you should have to set the host address manually.
>
> -Archie

It's because all packets sent by this node should have the node's
address. If you don't have it then PPPoE cannot send a packet "FROM"
thia node, as it has no idea of what this node's address is.

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000
---> X_.---._/  presently in:  Perth