Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:17:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Unix skills transfer (Was: installation woes)

Rick Hamell writes:
> 	BTW... I've been using FreeBSD for three years now...I am willing
> to admit that I am just now becoming comfortable enough with it that I'm
> looking for a job as a Unix admin.... The nice thing is that all my
> FreeBSD skills are transferable to any other Unix system in the
> world!

Um - not really "all", especially if you're doing admin. The admin
tools on every unix distribution (and I include the various Linux
distros in that) seems to be different. Real unix systems tend to be
some mix of pure SysV and pure BSD tools, along with a few
vendor-provided extras and GUIs just for fun. Linux seems to come with
it's own set of variants on all those. Things like adduser
vs. add_user vs. useradd vs user_add, for one thing. /etc/init.d vs
/etc/rc.d vs /etc/rc?.d vs /etc/rc for another. Then there's AIX,
which has a real Unix heritage, but - well, they changed all the error
messages, and moved almost all the admin databases into binary data
files that you frob with magic commands that don't exist on any other
Unix system. The best summary is "AIX: it'll remind you of Unix."

This stuff even trickles into userland, where my favorite "ps aux"
becomes "ps -ef" on SysV systems.

Finally, the ports system is FM, and nothing I've seen anywhere else
comes close to it for either reliability or ease of use.

	<mike