Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 11:54:31 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Julian Sassenscheidt <julian@lav.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI IDE CD-ROM drive

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, Julian Sassenscheidt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A few days ago I bought WalnutCreek's FreeBSD 2.1.5 CD.
> In the moment I'm running Linux Kernel 2.0.0 but I want to try out FreeBSD.
> Well, the Installation-software can't find my ATAPI IDE CD-ROM drive.
> I'm using an Adaptec AHA1542b SCSI-Controller for my Harddisk and an
> IDE-Controller for my Floppy and the CD-ROM drive.
> What can I do?
>
> Best, Julian

Try moving around your CD on the two EIDE controllers. The problem is
that many times the CD will only be recognized in the slave position, and
to make it slave you'll need a disk to act as master. So what you should
try is:

1. Try it as the master on the primary controller or master on the
secondary controller (some people report that this may work. Never did
for me thoguh :-(.

2. Get yourself either a SCSI CD-ROM or any IDE disk (can be a piece of
scrap if you're not going to use it). If you have a SCSI CD, you should
have no further problem. If you got yourself an EIDE disk, connect it as
the master on the primary controller and the CD as the slave. You may
want not to tell your BIOS about the EIDE disk so that it will not try to
boot from it.

You may also want to post your the exact model of the CD and the IDE
controller you use, so you may find people who have experience with the
exact same models.

> Julian Sassenscheidt / Hamburg / Germany / Linux-Kernel 2.0.0
> Internet E-Mail: julian@spitfire.lav.de
> WWW-Homepage: http://www.lavielle.com/~julian/julian.html
> PGP Fingerprint: A9 22 AA 78 7E FB 47 D4  ED 4B 78 6B 18 F5 D7 ED

Nadav