Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:16:12 -0700
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@terrandev.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   A USB mouse, a scroll wheel, moused and moused_flags

In previous cases where I set up X to use a wheel mouse I told it to use
moused and then had XFree do the wheel translation with the ZAxisMapping
option. After looking at the FAQ again I decided to try doing the
translation with moused on my new 5.1-R desktop box. So I did a ps ax |
grep moused and got what I expected...

/usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0 -I /var/run/moused.ums0.pid

so as root I killed it and ran it with the same options plus "-z 4" just
like the FAQ said. I changed xfree's config file to suit and started up
X. Everything worked great so I added "-z 4" to moused_flags in
/etc/rc.conf and moved on to more important things. I noted that somehow
moused was starting itself despite being disabled in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf and not enabled in /etc/rc.conf, and then
remembered it had something to do with usbd or some such.

Some time later I rebooted, and afterwards noticed that the wheel
stopped working in XFree. Quickly checking ps ax | grep moused showed
that moused isn't being run with "-z 4" even though it is in
moused_flags. I can't find anywhere else to set options for moused. What
  am I missing?