Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 05:10:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "robi" <rnunnari@libero.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIME-Version: 1.0

robi <rnunnari@libero.it> types:
> Hi there.
> I already posted this a week ago but got no asnwer...
> Hope to be more lucky this time...

I didn't see it, but I'll try this time.

> I have a problem, here... :(

On this list, such a statement seems redundant :-).

> Questions:
>
> 1.
> Is there an easy way to install the second os on the
> same disk or (as I'm more oriented to) take out FreeBSD
> disk, add another disk, install the second os on that
> disk, reinsert the FreeBSD disk as the primary disk, and
> then use FreeBSD tools to configure a dual boot?
> And if that's the way to go, can anybody help me out
> with that?

Any reasonable OS install makes it easy to install as a second OS -
*if* you've space on the disk that doesn't belong to any slice, or an
unused slice. If neither of those conditions are true, you have to
make it true. That's the hard part.

> 2.
> At present I only have the following partitions:
>
> /dev/ad0s1a  /     ufs
> /dev/ad0s1b  none  swap
> /dev/ad0s1e  /var  ufs
> /dev/ad0s1f  /usr  ufs
>
> I would like to split /usr (which is about 8GB) in two
> or more...
> Any hints on how to do that without loosing the valuable
> data that is already on /usr ?

See the "dump" man page.

I can't go into details without knowing the details of your disk
layout (i.e. - slices, partition order in the slice, etc), but
basically you're going to have to find a place to dump the information
on /usr, use newfs to shrink /usr, then restore the dump file to
create the new, smaller /usr. You can then use fdisk to shrink the
FreeBSD slice appropriately, and create a new slice that is the space
you want for the other OS. This is *dangerous*, so you should save
your /usr/ dump file, and probably have dumps of / and /var as
well. If all the file systems don't wind up in one slice after this,
things get hairy.

	Good luck,
	<mike