Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:04:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        vazquez@IQM.Unicamp.BR, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wfd/zip ATAPI

> > atapi0.1: start
> > atapi0.1: intr ireason=0x1, len=64000, status=58<ready,opdone,drq>, error=0
> > atapi0.1: intr ireason=0x1, len=4096, status=58<ready,opdone,drq>, error=0
> >
> > I've no logs after this point but on the console it goes to
> > a series of req cb with size 64 and then stops.
>
> This is very similar to what I see.  I found I got better error
> messages by turning off multi-sector etc. modes.
>
> The drive appears to wedge up; I get one error register value with a
> sense code of 0xd (which is undefined), and then it stops taking
> commands.

wouldn't this be a good opportunity to look at our atapi
implementation(*) and see if someone can add at least a watchdog
functionality such as the one (wdtimeout() in wd.c) which is present
for the ordinary IDE drives ?

When I worked on reading audio etc. from CDs, I was hitting this
problem very frequently: the CD drive would hang at some point, locking
the bus and there was no cure but reset.

I am afraid I don't have sufficient knowledge to _design_ this in a
proper way. Maybe I could hack something but it is not straightforward
since I am not sure how to get a reference from the atapi unit back to
the associated controller.

> The SFF-8020i document implies that READ-10 is obsolete and that
> READ-12 should be used...

given that a lot of hardware is also obsolete it does not sound so bad
to use matching commands :)

	cheers
	luigi