Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:11:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replace linux by freebsd?

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Dan Busarow wrote:

| On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Paul Dekkers wrote:
| > I was just wondering if the 3com nic would work...
| > I still use 2.2.1 you know... (maybe guy an upgrade???)
guy->buy
| Which one?

I have a 3c509

| > I have a new powerr supply, is that what you mean?
| > I also replaces one of the network cards. Can it cause crashes like these?
|
| No, was there an electrical storm that could have sent a surge
| into the computer?  Asked since you needed to replace the PS and
| NIC at the same time.  I'd be suspect of the mother board and
| CPU.

Ohw, I really don't know. But the NIC was one of 3 PCI nics, and the PS
went down after the nic was replaced: maybe it's a wrong nic...?!
It may also be the motherborard. I think I'll try FreeBSD after this
summer (can't touch the machine right now) and see if it works better. I'l
also ask Linux gurus if it's a known problem with 4.1... :-)
Thanks for your help.

Paul

--
Paul Dekkers