Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:46:53 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any pointers for crossing the line from 2.2.8 to 3.3?

--==_Exmh_-1886612206P

If memory serves me right, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> You'll of course need to go through /etc and compare and update any
> changes.  This is something i have seen mentioned many times.  Some people
> do it manually, others use mergemaster.

Regardless of what you do, yes, you'll need to do this.

> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>

> >This weekend we are upgrading our FreeBSD server for our hosting firm
> >from 2.2.8 to 3.3 and looking for the most painless way to do this. I've
> >assembled some basic notes on the procedure based some documention I
> >found on the net (my notes are below). Are they any other pointers I
> >should know about? Thanks.
> >
> >key upgrade stuff:
> >
> >  1. Back everything up.
> >  2. Repeat step 1.
> >  3. Copy new source tree from CD into /usr/src/sys
> >  3.5 make kernel tweaks as needed
> >  4. "make upgrade".
> >  5. reboot.
> >  6. use /stand/sysinstall to install compat22

Presuming you want to go to 3.3-RELEASE, since you are posing this
question on -questions rather than -stable or -current:  This is a
fairly damnfool question, but isn't it less painful to replace steps 3-6
by "re-install from CD-ROM distribution"?  (Insert much handwaving here.)

This is the way I've upgraded between releases for the past four years,
and it's been the quickest way to get back up and running again.  I
don't think it's quite this easy if you want to go to -STABLE or
-CURRENT.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1886612206P

--==_Exmh_-1886612206P--