Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:59:22 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about portmanager(1) ownership

Can someone explain about the ownership of sysutils/portmanager please?

It is obviously a FreeBSD-specific port (and I recognize the name
Michael Schultz as a member of the FreeBSD community) and the project is
hosted on SourceForge but the SF project pages seem way out of date.
Also, I submitted a patch in ports/98032 - to stop it dumping core if
run by a non-root user - which was committed, but as a patch rather than
a mod to the core code, which puzzles me since, as I said, it is
FreeBSD-specific.

The reason I ask is that I want to do some more enhancements to it but
wondering where the project is at.

I've got ~450 ports installed on my main system and I find the output of
``portmanager -s'' a real PITA. It's unsorted (presumably the output
order is the order it walks the installed ports and their dependencies?)
meaning I have to scroll through 450 lines of output to see if a
particular port has been updated, e.g. if I'm waiting for a fix to be
committed.

What I want to do is add an option/options to control/limit the output.
For example, choose how the output is sorted - by port name, port
collection (with name as the secondary sort), or status, plus options to
restrict the output to a particular status, mainly not CURRENT, e.g.
only list ports that are not CURRENT and sort the output by name. This
would make it a lot easier to find if frobulators/widgetmangler has been
updated.

``portmanager -s | grep -v CURRENT'' goes some way to achieving this,
but it would be better if there was more control.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mark