Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:02:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        wxwang <wormwang@online.sh.cn>
Cc:        mlarsen@tech-nic.net, "freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Could not find any .o files

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, wxwang wrote:

> Hi! All
>  I also want to know who are working at picoBSD.I will help someone to do
> something that list at TODO.
>
> sincerely
> Weixun Wang
>
> Michael Larsen wrote:
>
> > Hi Thanks for the tip...The OBJS= line solved it...
> >
> > And Something else...
> >
> > I'v started to make a Config/Install Wizard (as on the todo list)
> > and i was wondering it anybody else is working on the same??
> >
> > It will of course be adjusted a bit to the "distrubution" i'm
> > working on, but can easyly be "ported" to the the 4 standard
> > distributions made by Andrzej Bialecki.

Hi,

That's great you need to help with PicoBSD. However, IMHO, one thing needs
to be solved before you embark on the Config wizqrd project.

The problem with PicoBSD is that it's a hack, not a solution. At least I
view it as such. The building process is too complicated and way too
limited - e.g. have you tried to add lynx to the crunch? Then, currently
used building process consisting of shell scripts doesn't fit too well to
our src/, where everything needs to be bmake'able. IMO this needs to be
fixed first before we even start some more sophisticated "configure"
wizard. Also, we need to have something what normal boot.flp already has -
ability to build PicoBSD root filesystem for some other media than
built-in MFS. Then, we need to solve somehow the issue of using /usr/ports
which in current version is just horrible and requires hand-patching the
port sources.

So, again, IMHO we need to solve these issues first, because they need to
be solved anyway, and if you start building a Config wizard now, it's
existence can be short-lived...

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------