Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 22:08:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        root@pent.ibm.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you record from a mic. in FreeBSD?

Adam,

>I have a project I'm doing and need to record a sound
>and then analyze the digitized pattern it produces.
>My problem is that I can't find any info on how you
>record sound from a microphone in FreeBSD.

Try installing nas (network audio system) from the packages collection
and using its utility aurecord.

>Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure that you read the man pages carefully --- specifically, remember
to set the -audio option on aurecord (I forget regularly) or set the
environment variable AUDIOSERVER.

You may also find it useful to install sox (sound exchange) from the
packages collection as well.  It converts sound files from one format
to another.

Good luck,
Tod