Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 08:52:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jahan <jahan@pc.jaring.my>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Socket 7 motherboards

On Thu,  7 May 1998 at  3:16:06 +0700, jahan wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sat,  2 May 1998 at  1:44:18 -0700, Vincent Poy wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>       We're planning to build a whole new FreeBSD machine using either a
>>> AMD K6 or Pentium MMX CPU with 128 megs of memory.
>
> cut cut sniff sniff
>
>> The German c't magazine recently tested a number of motherboards with
>> non-Intel chipsets.
>
> Those who tested are they qualified  ? !!

Yes.

> German magazine or pc magazine or Any Mumbo Jumbo Magazin does not
> qualify as quality tester.

And you do?

> Consider Peter Norton opening a news magazine and testing all kinds of
> things and making text mouse pointers etc. Then Peter dies or sales the
> magazine ( sorry Pete ). Now, will that magazine have the same quality ?

I don't know what your comparison with Peter Norton means.  I suspect
it means you don't understand the issues at hand.

> Feel free to give your comment.

I shall.  In my opinion, c't has the highest quality tests I have seen
anywhere.  They have an in-depth understanding of the technology and
the issues involved.  They're not afraid of publishing their results
even if they show the product up in a bad light--for example, they
have really slated some big name brands, and in one case, despite
court injunctions, they pointed out that a specific software product
was completely useless.  They won the court case, and I think the
vendor went out of business.

c't has produced consistently excellent reports for about 10 years
now, and I've been subscribed for 15.  They have two or three people
who handle low-level hardware (in particular, Andreas Stiller and
Georg Schnürer).  Unlike a number of US magazines, I don't see a
decline in quality yet.  When I do, I will take appropriate action.

> So in this century, I say "NO  brands". Lets check what is made of. not
> who made this.

What will you do in 20 months' time?

> For example, the rise thing. it is same as asus spv7, looking at
> chipset.

Well, it's probably closer to the SP98AGP-X.

> what will it make better ?

I didn't say it was better.  I just reported the brand.  You're right,
though, they're very similar.  The only difference I note is that the
Asus board has the choice of 3.3/3.4/3.5V V I/O, whereas the Rise
board only has 3.4V.  Also the Asus board is ATX form factor, which I
can't use, and the Rise board is AT form factor.  It's possible that
Asus make an AT board as well, but I didn't find either board where I
was looking.  Where would you go to buy a motherboard?  Which boards
are available?  What do they cost?

> cuz of bios ?

No, FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS.  Anyway, both boards appear to have
essentially the same BIOS.

Greg