Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:04:32 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        "'sroberts@dsl.pipex.com'" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Need to find explanation for maillog messages

S. Roberts [mailto:sroberts@dsl.pipex.com] wrote:

> Hello,
>      Is there somewhere I can get simple explanations to the messages
> that appear in /var/log/maillog?

> Jun  5 00:06:50 <snip> sm-msp-queue[49856]: g4UNFwRm077651: to=<snip>,
> delay=4+23:50:38, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=22351358,
> relay=localhost.<snip>., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Permission denied

Have you tried typing 'mailq' as root?  This will explain what is still
sitting in your mail queue, and should tell you the errors that were
encountered.  The stat field seems to be saying that the mailer (called
'relay') had a 'permission denied' error while trying to send the mail.  On
my machine, based on /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, the relay mailer forwards mail
to a different machine.  You should check your sendmail.cf to see if that
holds.  It looks, however, as though the problem is on the other end.  If
you are having problems receiving mail, then see if you can find an error
message with mailer=local, as this might tell you more where the problems
are.

Of course, I could be wrong -- I've only read a tiny bit of the Sendmail
book, and I'm really guessing here...

HTH,
Ricky