Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 03:37:20 -0800
From:      "Timothy Beyer" <beyert@cs.ucr.edu>
To:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

Brett Glass wrote:
>FreeBSD also keeps falling farther and farther behind Linux in the area =
of
>advocacy (and, hence, corporate adoption)

Granted, this is true.  However, you should be more specific when you=20
refer to advocacy.  When I think of the term "advocacy," blind, =
relentless=20
loyalty comes to mind.  This is one of the things that bothers me about=20
Linux in particular, since it seems to have the most "advocates" of any =
OS=20
that I have used.  Linux Users and Developers [in the "advocate" =
category]=20
insist Linux is "superior" to other offerings, (usually windows, when in =

actuality, its strengths are quite different) quite often without =
stating, or even=20
understanding what exactly constitutes these "superior" qualities of the =

operating system.   This comes across to most people as zealotry, and as =
a=20
result, people will think less of the hard work done by the developers, =
many=20
of whom would only express an opinion that they fully understood.  Quite =

frankly, it was this type of behavior in the Linux community that kept =
me=20
away from using non-proprietary operating systems for a long, long time.

Yes, you are correct that more people need to promote *BSD, the BSD =
license,
etc, but I think the term "advocate" implies the wrong emphasis.  Keep =
the
elitism at the minimum, or else the majority will take it the wrong way.
Blind faith could potentially hinder corporate acceptance, though it =
would be
unlikely to encourage it.

>Many of the developers actually have an antipathy toward advocacy,
>since they dislike answering newbie FAQs and don't want too manypeople =
>adopt the OS for fear that it'll overcrowd their "sandbox."

Yes, thats quite true of FreeBSD developers.  While these individuals =
are
typically rational, productive individuals, they most likely don't =
produce
the required volume of noise to give a name to FreeBSD. However, it is =
nice
to know that people exist who put money where their mouth is;  I don't =
see
that in some other free software communities.

--Tim