Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:04:43 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdist and pam

> What you should,  probably, use is rdist6 over ssh  with ssh compression
> disabled.  It is  the compression,  not  the encryption  that kills  the
> throughput  on fast  networks. Having  the traffic  encrypted is  better
> anyway for  the long  run, although  you can build  ssh with  the cypher
> ``none'' available and use it...

This is what we're doing at the moment and the authentication side works
fine. Even without compression we find it is much slower than using rsh,
and as far as we can tell, this is because rdist does a lot of:

	Tell me about file blah
	waits for response
	Tell me about file wibble
	waits for response
	.
	.
	.

and ssh seems to add quite alot to the RTT for these small
transactions, so rdist spends most of it's time waiting. We've changed
this to do:

	Tell me about file blah
	Tell me about file wibble
	.
	.
	Now process the responses

It's much like the SMTP pipelining changes. It's nice 'cos it needs no
protocol changes, and just requires that you avoid deadlocks by checking
for data to be read before writing. Out nightly rdisting jobs have gone
from about 5 hours down to a bit over 1 (over ssh). I think you also see
significant gains when using rsh, but I haven't done any measurements
yet. I'm trying to write this up....

	David.