Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:42:13 -0500
From:      "Maildrop" <maildrop@qwest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and RAID

Question in regards to both RAID and FreeBSD.  Basically I am building a
small file server and want to make sure that there is some reailability to
it (this isn't production, but for my home media server).

Right now I have 6 "clean" working IDE drivers, 1 IDE CDROM, 2 are 80 Gig
(same model) and 2 are 20 Gig (same model). 1 2 gig drive, and 1 4 gig
drive.

What I want to do is mirror the 2 20 gigs drives as root, /usr, etc then
mirror the 80 gig drives for data purposes and use the 2 gig drive as /tmp
(doesn't matter if the drive dies) and the 4 gig drive as /log.

This way if one of the 20 gig drives or one of the 80 gig drives just dies,
I can just stuff a new drive in there and don't have to rebuild everything.
I have tape backups, but rebuilding from tape is a long boring process....

So my questions are

1. what hardware based IDE Raid card would be ideal for this setup that is
supported under FreeBSD 4.5 or later.

2. Can FreeBSD boot from a mirror-ed / drive?

3. Can I use RAID for 2 mirrors and still use "normal" IDE for /tmp, /log
and /cdrom drive?

Let me know what ya guys think.

Thanks,
Bud