Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:52:48 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Mike Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 12:15:47PM -0400, Mike Knoll wrote:

> I have no XAUTHORITY variable set.  I tried deleteing ~/.Xauthority, I
> tried copying the authorization files in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles in my .Xauthority.  My .xsession
> is only "xterm &"  I started xdm by logging in as root and just running
> "xdm"  Every config file should be the default, except for my screen
> resolution/refresh rate.
>
> Also, I'm trying to log in locally using XDM, not remotely(not sure if I
> said that earlier).

Ahhhh, I think I see what's up here.  Xdm resets itself and prepares for
another login when your .xsession script ends.  Since you've only got
'xterm &' in there, the script exits almost instantly, leaving the
background xterm orphaned and trying to use invalid authority data (xdm
won't let anyone connect until they login...)  Take the '&' out of the
.xsession and you should be fine.

In general, the last line in your .xsession should run a program that will
last for the lifetime of your session, as when this program ends, so does
the X session.  Often this will be your window manager, or perhaps a login
shell.  I 'exec fvwm2' in mine so that when I get logged out when I quit
from fvwm.

Hope that all makes sense,

	Scott