Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:24:09 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap size

--==========72B7346180118631194D==========

--On Friday, August 17, 2007 11:07:14 -0400 Andy Greenwood=20
<greenwood.andy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 02:05:57AM +0200, Nicholas Wieland wrote:
>>

>>> I was reading tuning(7), and I found that I should size my swap
>>> double the size of my physical memory.
>>> AFAIK that was true some years ago, when memory was not as cheap as
>>> now, and following that guideline I should set my swap to 2GB, which
>>> seems far too much for swap (at least to me ...). I will never need
>>> this much memory as 1GB RAM and 2GB swap.
>>> Is it still correct ? How can I resize with bsdlabel if I already
>>> used all my disk space during install ?
>>>

>> Remember, disk sizes have shot up too.
>> No, 2 GB is not excessive.   You can get by with less, but you're
>> not likely to be using proportionately as much disk now as you used
>> to by going with 2X - I aim for a little over 2X.
>>
>> Remember that swap gets used for crash dumps and also for paging.
>> Now, you may think that you want to keep your machine from paging
>> and in one sense that is true.   If you are so memory bound that
>> it has to page just to run, you're going to be so slow that it
>> seems to have froze (by today's standards).   But, the system does
>> write stuff to page space and for processes that are often called
>> it can speed things up.
>>
>> So, it is not really a waste to assign that much to swap.
>>
>> ////jerry
>>

>>> TIA,
>>>   ngw
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nicholas Wieland
>>> nicholas.wieland@gmail.com

> My understanding was that you should estimate swap size based on the
> sizes of the programs which might be paged out. However, when I first set
> up my system, I didn't know this and created 1G swap slices (one on each
> disk) but I am not convinced that this was the best thing to do, since my
> system almost never uses a noticible percentage of the swap space. right
> now, I've got
>
> [andy@zeus fusefs-sshfs]$ swapinfo
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/ad0s1b.eli   1048576     1148  1047428     0%
> /dev/ad1s1b.eli   1048576     1096  1047480     0%
> Total             2097152     2244  2094908     0%
>
> And the system is under normal load. This system has 1G of RAM. Is there
> any sense in having this much swap space when it's not being used?

Yes.  As was stated earlier, you will need that much space to save a core=20
file if the system crashes.  If you don't care about troubleshooting major=20
system crashes, then don't worry about it.  OTOH, disk sizes have grown so=20
large that 2GB of swap is negligible use of space.  I always configure swap =

to be 2xRAM plus 200MB.  On a 300GB drive, that's less than 1% of the space =

available.

--=20
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst