Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 21:17:18 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: unit_list routines

> > > How does newbus allocate/manage unit numbers ?
> >
> > I don't think it does.  The only way to find out what's in use
> > (AFAIK) is by looking at every specinfo in dev_hash....
>
> Er, what exactly are you smoking?
>
> Newbus manages unit numbers using the devclass:
>
> struct devclass {
>     TAILQ_ENTRY(devclass) link;
>     driver_list_t       drivers; /* bus devclasses store drivers for bus */
>     char                *name;
>     device_t            *devices; /* array of devices indexed by unit */
>     int                 maxunit; /* size of devices array */
> };

Yes, Garrett pointed this out.  I misunderstood the question because
newbus doesn't manage unit numbers.  It ``manages'' the maximum unit
number allocated and nothing else.

My answer was describing the only way I know of to figure out which
units for a given device are allocated/opened.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>