Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 04:14:16 -0500
From:      Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        LiQuiD <liquid@homebass.ca>
Subject:   Re: Soekris engineering "routers"

On Saturday 30 October 2004 07:45 pm, LiQuiD wrote:

> I've noticed a few people mention this company, http://www.soekris.com
> in the list now.  Their website claims they can be used with a compact
> flash card.  I'm curious regarding their usage with a flash card as a
> hard drive.  Has anyone successfully been able to install FreeBSD on one
> of those boxes using a compact flash card?

Not FreeBSD, but I have installed and used OpenBSD successfully. There are a
few "tricks" involved in using the CF card. Here's my fstab listing - it may
help get you started:

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw,noaccesstime 1 1
# /dev/wd0d /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0b /tmp mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-s=128000 0 0
/dev/wd0b /var mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,union,-s=128000 0 0
/dev/wd0g /usr ffs rw,nodev,noaccesstime 1 2

Check the soekris & OpenBSD mailing list archives for more goodies.

> If this were possible, I could replace my router with that, and a couple
> clients' machines with something far smaller and with much less power
> consumption.

Yep - that's the idea.

Jay