Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 05:33:38 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting CDROM (or removable media) by users

> You example is not very revelant because you are comparing two
> different system and it is very easy to find a workaround.

It was perfectly relevant because *you* were comparing two
different systems and I had already given you a good workaround.

> Anyway, I like the sudo feature because as far as I understand, you can
> easily choose who can or cannot mount a device.

And you have stated more than once that you like the workaround
I gave you.

> I just want to know what is the technical reason why by default, only
> root can mount the cdrom.

There is no technical reason.  But there are several compelling
security reasons why you don't want to generally allow random
users to mount anything (not just CDROMs) in places of their
choosing.  I know somebody else has covered this quite well, so
I won't go over that ground again.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>