Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2019 11:12:20 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base  system components)

In message <alpine.BSF.2.20.1901061929510.48074@puchar.net>, Wojciech
Puchar wr
ites:
> > At $JOB my customers are migrating from AIX, Solaris and even Windows
> > to Linux and from traditional Linux to microservices run under
> why this "microservices" - which are simply complete programs without
> dependencies (or should be) - cannot be run simply as processes on
> different user accounts?

Because each is a jail, not a full blown jail like but a lite-jail.

Think of it this way. When I first got into this business everything
was run on a huge machine, a mainframe. Later applications were moved
from the mainframe to individual machines, databases to database
servers, applications to application servers, front end processes to
web or proxy servers. Now these services are run on microservices.

You are suggesting we go back to the 1960's and 1970's mainframe model.
As much as you and I want mainframes back, those days are gone.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>