Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:28:57 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@ssc.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (void)printf(); (Was: Re: simple c i/o question)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Naief BinTalal wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 04:28:23PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to write a hello world program.  What is the output file for
> > the console currently being displayed (in other words, the screen)?
> > I've tried printf, and fprintf to stdout and stderr.
>
>   #include <stdio.h>
>
>   int
>   main(void)
>   {
>   	(void)fprintf(stdout,"Hello World\n");
> 	return 0;
>   }

While browsing thru the source code of almost anything in FreeBSD, I've
noticed that (type)function(parameters); syntax.  Why not just to write
function(paramenters).  Like in the prev example, what's wrong with simple
printf(blahblah); but (void)printf(blahblah); ?

Thanx.

 ,--------------------------------------,     ____            ___  _______
 | Alexey N. Dokuchaev, more commonly   |    / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \
 | known as DAN Fe                      |   / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/ // /
 | Novosibirsk State University         `-------- The Power to Serve --------,
 | Scientific Study Center Computer Lab                                      |
 | email: danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru     homepage: http://inet.ssc.nsu.ru/~danfe/ |
 | ICQ UIN: 38934845                                                         |

A good conspiracy is unprovable.  I mean, if you can prove it, it means they
screwed up somewhere along the line.

					Jerry Fletcher from Conspiracy Theory