Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:23:17 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Oles' Hnatkevych" <gnut@fc.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network dumper - dumping hub

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 06:01:36PM +0300, Oles' Hnatkevych wrote:
> Hello!
>
>   Is it possible to make FreeBSD box to pass ALL THE NETWORK TRAFFIC
> from one ethernet card to another and back (fully transparently)
> and also dump that traffic to the file?
>
>   Thank you in advance.
>
> With best wishes, Oles' Hnatkevych, http://gnut.kiev.ua, gnut@fc.kiev.ua
> Finance & Credit Banking Corporation, Kyiv, Ukraine.
> Artema str. 60, +380 44 4906877

This feature is only available in 4.0-CURRENT, but could be easily
backported to 3.2-STABLE (if you want, I could send you the patches):

# cvs log -N -r1.560 LINT
RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT,v
----------------------------
revision 1.560
date: 1999/02/22 18:19:57;  author: des;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -1
Add support for stealth forwarding (forwarding packets without touching
their ttl). This can be used - in combination with the proper ipfw
incantations - to make a firewall or router invisible to traceroute
and other exploration tools.

This behaviour is controlled by a sysctl variable (net.inet.ip.stealth)
and hidden behind a kernel option (IPSTEALTH).

Reviewed by:    eivind, bde

You can then use tcpdump(1) or write a simple program that uses divert(4)
socket to intercept and dump the traffic.

And don't forget to send your beer to Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org>!

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the